Saturday 3 November 2012

Nadia's story


My name is Nadia Adhikari. I was born in Bhutan. However, because of the political situation there my family fled to Nepal to take refuge when I was only one year old. I grew up with my family in that refugee camp. We were there for 16 years.

Our life inside the camp was like animals living in a zoo. We could not leave the area without permission. We had very little food (i.e. 5kg rice per person for 15 days) to survive on. We were given a tiny hut to live in with no electricity. The hut was made out of bamboo and mud.

I was only nine years old when my father passed away in the refugee camp, leaving me and four of my siblings in my mother’s care. Despite our poor conditions in the camp, there were a lot of positive things also that we were thankful for. For example, we were safe inside the camp. We were surrounded by loving friends and families. We were also provided with good education run by CARITAS Nepal. CARITAS Nepal is a social development and relief organization run by the United Nations High Commission for Refugees with the help of the Roman Catholic Church.

With my siblings, I attended English school run by the CARITAS Nepal up to the grade ten. After I graduated from grade ten and received my School Living Certificate, I was granted a scholarship to attend a college, called the University of Birtamode. There I was studying English, Economics, Nepalese and math for three months. Then, my family was awarded with an opportunity to come to Canada on refugee status.

Because of the Canadian government’s generosity, my family got an opportunity to come to Ottawa and I could attend one of the most prestigious high schools in the common wealth (I heard). Ottawa is a beautiful city with lot of space. I find people here are very friendly. Everybody we met has been helpful and kind to my family. Although we came here as refugees, we feel that people are treating us with some dignity and respect, which we were longing for so long! It’s been only three years since we arrived in Fredericton, but I already feel that I’m part of the society and I belong here!

This is my final year at Pressman High School. I’ve been working hard in my school and making sturdy progress. Although, my grades are not up to the level I would have liked to, I’m reasonably happy considering the fact that English language was not my mother-tongue. Also, I work part-time at a hotel during the summer time and in weekends to support my mother financially.

In addition to that, I’m in the co-op program at PHS. I wanted to work for the Everest hospital, but it was already full by the time my application reached. However, I got the opportunity to work for the Thomas Hall nursing home when I started grade 12. I’m very much enjoying my work there and I know the patients appreciate my company also. I see them smiling when I enter into their room. They hug me and listen to me when I asked them to do certain things. For example, there were a few patients refusing to take their meal, I was told. But when I explained to the same patients how important the meal is for their body, they listened to me and ate without a quarrel. I’m also able to convince them to take bath when others were not able to. This experience has given me the confidence I needed to go into the healthcare profession I had always dreamt of. Working for the nursing home has been a very rewarding experience for me!

My father was a poor man, but he had big heart. Whatever little he had, he always shared with his friends and relatives inside of the camp. He told us to work hard, live honest life and help others. His words have inspired me to help others and that was my main reason of going into the nursing career!

I want to pursue the Nursing program at University of Ottawa for many other reasons also. The two most daring reasons for me, in addition to honoring my father’s words, are, 1) I enjoy being with people and working for them; 2) I also want to make sure I’ll have steady income when I complete my university, so that I can help my family, especially my mother. My mother was only 34 years old when my father died in the refugee camp. She was young with her own desires. She could have remarried, but she chose to raise us giving up her happiness! I want to “thank” her with my nursing degree. I want to make sure I’ve the financial security she did not have, and I know this is what she wants from me!

When I was in Nepal, I used to dream of becoming a doctor. Because of that I had started volunteering at an organization called “Save the Children Fund”. But now I’ve realized that going to medicine is a huge commitment that my family can’t afford. Nursing career is perfect for me. I get to care the patients in need and at the same time, I don’t have to worry for my basic needs. In addition to that, nursing career also gives me the opportunity to give back “my service” to the Canadian society which helped my family regain our dignity!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment