Tuesday 13 November 2012

My book online

Hi everyone,
 
I just published my very first book titled Longing to Belong: An Immigrant Woman's Story. I had started writing this book three years ago. It took me all these years to get to this point.

I knew that book writing is a daunting job. I’m the managing editor of a by-yearly academic journal, but I had not realized that it would be this much work! Publishing my book from a reputable publisher is another hurdle that I'm still not over with. However, after I researched a bit about the processes and the cost involved in publishing my book the conventional way, I decided to take the self-publishing route.
 
Here is the link to my book:
http://ar.gy/2Qcv
ar.gy
And, here is the Preface of my book you may like to take a look
 
Sasi Kala is not my formal name but the one given to me by my parents. My parents didn’t have formal education but they were exceptionally talented, nevertheless. My mother was a good hearted intuitive lady with multiple skills, while my father was a handsome man and an astute entrepreneur. Both of my parents worked hard and treated their workers with dignity and respect.
 
On my husband’s side, his mother died when he was still a child, but his father made sure that all seven of his children had a basic education. There was no school in the village my husband was born, but his father hired a private tutor to provide a higher education to his only son, my husband.
I’m a dreamer. I grew up through imagination. I have been imagining my life since I was a little girl. I imagined the life I am living now many years ago.
 
My dreams are my visions. My childhood visions were only the beginning of the end. My life’s events happened not just because I had imagined them but also because I relentlessly pursued them by working hard and tolerating others’ views around me (even when they did not fit into my imaginings).
I strive to be different than the people around me but at the same time the concept of belonging is important to me. This book is about my journey to that belonging: marrying an educated man, raising conscientious children and be part of a ‘just’ society.
 
My sincere appreciation goes to all of those friends who took their precious time in not just reading my untested manuscript but also persuading me to publish it. My especial thanks go to Carole Whiteford and Edith Hautcoeur. Thank you both so very much!
 
I want to thank my family: my husband, Dev, our daughters, Lisa and Jenny, and our son, babu, for believing in me that I can write a book, encouraging me and approving this genuine portrayal of immigrants’ lives to put forth in front of millions others. Love you guys so much!
 
Sasi Kala

No comments:

Post a Comment